Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Kindness, Thankfulness, and a Boy's Great Big Ol' Smile - Part 1

Anyone who reads my blog know that I am a big fan of the "two parter" blog post. This is one that has a dear place in my heart as it shows the kindness of children and their families and the impact we can have on others around us.

I teach at an elementary school in my town that has an affluent reputation. Many of the children come from homes where money is not an issue and celebrations can be an event. But we also have a few children where that is quite the opposite. Enter "Charles". Charles is a big ol' hulk of a boy. He is a super kid, but has also had some hard knocks. This year he has blossomed. Where he had a constant frown and a chip on his shoulder that could turn others away, he now shows a smile that warms your heart and gets along with everyone. This boy is now one of our fourth grade "peer mediators". He went from not doing any work at the beginning of the year to making the A/B Honor Roll for the very first time this past nine weeks. He is my Michael Oher from The Blind Side and I love him dearly.

About a month ago, Charles gave out invitations to his birthday party held at a local park. The party was this past Saturday: a day of rain, a few thunderstorms, AND Steeplechase (quite the event in my town). When he came to school on Monday, he told me that only one classmate came. He was disappointed, but seemed ok.

A few minutes later, I was beckoned to my classroom door by the mother of the child who attended. In her hand was the biggest gift bag full of presents for Charles with a note attached that read:

"For Charles. We are sorry we couldn't come to your party due to the rain. Here are our gifts to you for your birthday. Your Friends".

The bag was filled with a wrapped gifts, including a football, basketball, the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, and two other toys. The mother said she just had to do something as she knew that for Charles to even give out invitations for a party was a big step for him. She didn't want him to think that his classmates didn't care about him.

I hid the bag in another teacher's room and sent Charles on an "errand" to the office. Bringing the bag back to class, I told his classmates what the sweet mother had done. They were so touched by her thoughtfulness, so excited for Charles, and yet sad that they had either forgotten about his party or had other plans.

When Charles came back to class, he was so surprised. That beautiful smile covered his face. He threw up his hands. "I can't believe this guys! Thank you so much!" As he opened each gift, Charles was so gracious. He commented on and held up each gift for the class to see. The entire class was filled with joy and happiness for their classmate. And that cute thing even gave a little speech at the end to tell them now much this meant to him!


It was a Golden Day in my classroom. But it the story gets even better...

16 comments:

  1. Oh Bevy, what a wonderful post! It has left a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye but I can't wait to hear more!! Can it get any better than what you have already told us??
    Hope you are having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already crying and it gets better? Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am crying, too....what a beautiful story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a touching post! "Charles" must have felt so special. I cannot wait to read Part II of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story, and what a wonderful, thoughtful mother to have done that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, my heart ached hearing that only one child came to his party, but what a wonderful turn-around! Can't wait to hear the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, that got me totally choked up! Looking forward to hearing the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh...tears! Thank you so much for sharing this!!!! My mother was a teacher, and some of her stories always broke my heart! What a precious mother for doing that! What a great teacher you are for helping this young man live up to his potential!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a great story. I have tears in my eyes. Can't wait to read part 2...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's precious!! What a wonderful story. Can't wait to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was the best story ever!! Looking forward to the rest of the story!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've brought tears to my eyes too!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are the best teacher, I so wish my children had a teacher like you. that sweet little boy, I'm so happy for him! that mother sounds awesome.
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  14. well, now i just have to wipe the tears away! oh my goodness -- this sweet boy, and thoughtful mother, and WONDERFUL lesson your entire class got to see unfold in front of them. The toys will be long forgotten but the kindness and love shown by everyone in this story will LONG be remembered.
    (this was your blind side moment!)
    What a blessing! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Bevy, as a teacher who has had more than one "Charles" in her teaching career, I have tears streaming down my cheeks. What a sweet mother to think of this little guy and what an amazing teacher you are to bring Charles so far this year!

    Thank you for brightening my day ~
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have goosebumps and now I'm off to read part two

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments... They make my day just that more Golden!