Thursday, May 13, 2010

"I Can't Live Without My Pearls"... Are You a Member Too?

If someone asked me the one item that epitomizes class and understated elegance on a woman, it would have to be the simple strand of pearls.  I wear mine almost every day.  They make me feel like I'm just a little bit dressed up... even when I'm just going to the grocery store or running another errand.  I see others wearing their strand and I notice, "They're in the I can't live without my pearls club too."  I love the perfect roundness and smoothness of each one.  I love the fact that they start out as an imperfection.  An inconvenience.  An irritation.  And then, by sheer miracle, that piece of sand (or other fragment) goes through a metamorphosis to become a precious and priceless thing of beauty. 

Throughout high school and college, I either wore fake or my mother's strand (but only on special occasions).  I can remember Mama clasping her's around my neck before my debutante balls.  Wearing those, as well as her kid leather elbow-length gloves, made me feel a princess.

Finally, I received my own.  One gift my parents gave me when I graduated from college was a exquisite 18 inch strand of pure elegance.  A few other girls got cars.  A few got trips.  But I got pearls.  Finally.  I had my own to play with or finger whenever I was talking... or flirting!  I didn't have to borrow for special occasions... or plain old everyday.  This June baby (whose birthstone is the pearl!) was in heaven.

Sometimes I think about those cars that were given as graduation gifts twenty years ago.  Do those girls know where they are now?  Probably not.  But I know where my pearls are... circling my neck and will be for the next twenty years.  Because... I can't live without my pearls.

25 comments:

  1. What a sweet post, Bevy! I am TOTALLY a member of the "I can't live without my pearls" club! I got mine for graduation from high school, they mean the world to me! xoxo BTW love the blouse you have on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pearl Girl here as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the club! I don't stop at the necklace, I love my pearl ring, bracelet, etc.

    My favorite is my graduated strand from my mother. They were a gift from my dad many years ago to her and they became mine on my wedding day. They are both gone now so I treasure the things they gave me even more.


    Blessings,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh you're adorable. My dad gave me Chandrani pearls after he took a 2 week trip to India. I always wear them for special occasions (and my senior picture) but I could NEVER wear them everyday-I'd be way too afraid something would happen!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally a pearl girl and a june baby too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pearl girl here too. (and June baby too!) I also received mine from my parents at college graduation! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh what a great post!! i received my pearls for college graduation, too! and yes, i too wonder where those cars are 15 years later while the pearls are around my neck! (i would've enjoyed that month-long trip to europe tho, too!) -- funny story about pearls: i was 23, maybe, when some friends and i were getting ready to go out bowling...and one said, WHY are you wearing pearls with your jeans? I was shocked! WHY NOT? Pearls exude elegance and class, from a deb ball to a bowling ally, agree?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a memeber of this club as well. My June baby gave me a lovely pearl Mother's Day gift this year ~ post coming soon. I wear them daily and love them!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Count me in!! I hardly go anywhere without mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, and what a beautiful necklace. My husband got me my first pearl necklace for Mother's Day this year and now all I want to do learn about pearls. They are so fascinating! Mine came from a website, Uniquepearl.com. I cant beleive how affordable they are these days shopping online. I really recommend them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am such a pearl girl too. I have several strand that symbolize special times in my life and milestones. A few years ago before you started reading my blog, I had a cyber/blog stalker weirdo thing happen and went private for a while. All my bloggy friends put little buttons on their sidebar..Pearls for Kim in support of me. I will never forget that. they did it because I wear pearls all the time:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a big jewelry person but love pearls, as do both of my girls. They really do go with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Count me in, as well. My parents gave me a pair of pearl earrings when I turned 16. I still wear them everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a card-carrying member of that club! Hubby gave me a strand and matching earrings for our 10th anniversary and I wear them constantly. And, given that they are my birthstone as well, it makes them even more special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I knew I loved you! I, too, have a strand that I wear often. I also have the pearl bracelet my husband gave me when we were married. I wear it to church every Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love pearls too! I should wear them more often! I got my strand from my parents for my college graduation. The original strand was stolen when I was a single city girl and my apartment was robbed. Thankfully I had insurance and was able to replace them with the closest match I could find.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes ma'am. I'm in the club, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Definitely in the club. Wearing them today as a matter of fact. Even when I don't have on my necklace I have on my bracelet- sandwiched between two of my other favorite bracelets. My mother-in-law loved the look so much she copied it so now it is like a family thing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Count me in. My husband gave me my 18" strand for my wedding present.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes! Me too and I LOVED this post... pearls are indeed classic and classy and always-appropriate even if worn on the beach ;) So glad that you got a chuckle outta' my post!

    Best, Lachlan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pearls (like diamonds) are a girls best friend!
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm in the club! Mine were a wedding present from Hubby. We now gift our nieces with an inch of pearls at each birthday so they'll have a full strand at age 18.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Count me in too! I also got my pearl necklace for high school graduation along with a pearl bracelet and pearl earrings--sooo special!

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I am dressed, I have on my pearls. ALWAYS! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments... They make my day just that more Golden!