Friday, May 13, 2011

So I Think I Can Dance

I am definitely a white girl. I used to think I had pretty good rhythm. In my younger years, I loved to go dancing with my friends. In the mid 90s, there was this awesome bar in Five Points called Nightworks. They played seventies music, and we had the most fun dancing to "Rubberband Man", "The PiƱa Colada Song", and all those cool ABBA tunes. We felt so retro... (It was also there that I was introduced to that poison called Goldschlager, but that's another story.) Oh how we loved that place!

Fast forward to 2011. I have taken a few Zumba classes and feel so ridiculous. I obviously have gotten "whiter" with age. My hips don't gyrate as they should. So I stick with my treadmill and my trainer, a twenty-two year old who calls me ma'am and tells me all about his college escapades. (Those stories are the main reason I work-out. They are oh so entertaining!)

But I still love to dance. So I resign myself to my kitchen. I have made the best evah "mixed tape" of 90s tunes and one-hit wonders of the day... Pearl Jam, Sponge, Marcy Playground, Live, Spacehog, The Verve, Blind Melon, The Breeders, Smash Mouth, Sister Hazel, Blues Traveler, The Mighty Bosstones - to name a few. (You may not recognize some of the bands, but I promise you'd know the songs in a heartbeat!)

I hook my iPad up to the Bose radio... fix myself a cocktail... and crank it up. What therapy! And this is...


Of course it embarrasses and confuses S and J, but that makes it all the more fun!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! Those are some of my favorite bands from the 90s - certainly brings back memories of college and post-college working days. Rock on, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so fun and funny! And what great exercise--dancing is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a radio station that plays 80's @ 8:00- LOVE IT. My kids think I am insane. As for dancing in the kitchen? Its how we roll around here- except Big Daddy. He's lame :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cool. I'm a white girl too, although my maiden name is Whiteman-don't let it fool ya. I have the Zumba workout for wii and all I can say is that I am so ashamed by my lack of rhythm that i don't even bother to do it at home. Yes. Sad. But I embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously? I'm dancing with you asap
    xoxo
    sc

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments... They make my day just that more Golden!