Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tuesday's Kitchen Inspirations

This picture was taken this past Saturday evening at my father's 70th birthday party (this post).  However, today is actually the big day.  Here is G-dad (pronounced Gui-dad like the French Gui) with his four doting grandchildren, my two boys and their cute cousins.  This is already in a frame in our kitchen... therefore, a Tuesday's Kitchen Inspiration!


G-dad is a rather unusual name, I know.  As the oldest, Sumter was the one who came up with it.  (I too was the oldest grandchild, and I had the honor of "christening" my grandmother Muz... even the great-grands call her Grandmuz!)  My father is also named Sumter (see this post on how we are ALL named after relatives, both dead and alive!).  And his father was named Sumter.  We called him "Grandaddy Sump".  When my Sumter was a baby, my father wanted to carry on the "Granddaddy Sump" tradition (goodness gracious, we don't like to break with tradition in my family, do we???).  Anyway, that is quite a mouthful for a toddler, and anything Sumter couldn't say, he called Ya-ya instead.  So guess what Sumter called my father?

I suggested that "Granddaddy Sump" was a little more than he could handle... why don't we try "Grand-dad" and work our way towards the desired moniker?  We tried it.  And Sumter took one look at his grandfather and said, "G-dad".  Not quite what my father was looking for... but when asked how he liked being called G-dad, my father would laugh and, with a twinkle in his eye, answer, "Well, it sure beats Ya-ya." 

We think G-dad fits you perfectly and couldn't imagine any other name for you... You are the one and only.  We love you G-dad!

13 comments:

  1. I just bought J and C those shorts too! lol, great minds think alike. I love how kids pick names. My nephew (2) calls my mom Nama (all the older grands call her Grandma), but I love Nama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! My grandmother is Mamaw and both my mom and her sister are Mamaw to their grandkids. It can be a bit confusing when we are all together!

    Thanks for your sweet comment yesterday. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo! What cute grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute cousins! And G-dad, too! I love family names and traditions, but I've already told my children that when the time comes I want a cute grandmother name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such sweetness! I love family names and they history they carry.

    Jo
    Thanks for the heads up on the sale ~ I'm placing an order ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know my daddy isn't the only one. My Evans was the first grandchild- the plan was to call my daddy, Grandad. Evans could not say Grandad and shortened it to Nah Nah which eventually was shortened even more to "Nah". Loved the post on family names- we also named our children family names Matthew Evans and Mary Wilhelmina (Mary Will).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful picture to keep! Everybody looks so happy! Grandpas are such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading about the traditions, He looks fab for his age. Great gene pool my darling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How adorable! Your father looks like he is wonderful and the children are all precious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great picture...I see why it is already framed. Those boys are just so handsome. Happy birthday to the sweet dad and grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! I just wrote about nicknames :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet story, I love the nickname G-Dad!! :) Beautiful grandkids he has!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments... They make my day just that more Golden!